The Vieselmeyer/-meier Website
The Vieselmeyer/-meier HistoryThe Vieselmeyer/-meier FamilySt. Ulricus ChurchWestphalian TraditionsLinks & ToolsAbout meGuestbook


Roots of the Vieselmeyer/meier family on Boerninghausen


The oldest known document in which the family name is mentioned is the Ravensberg Declaration from 1556 (see print out below). The record relates to the ancestor

VIESELMEIGER, Jorgen.


The name was, in those days, written somewhat differently, using the old german or "Saxon-German" spelling. Jorgen Vieselmeiger was a peasant farm worker and lived in Boeninghausen (Westphalia).

Copy of the Ravensberg Declaration from 1556 for the Boerninghausen settlement.

Copy of the Ravensberg Declaration from 1556 for the Boerninghausen settlement. (Translation see right)

The settlements and farms which were used by the peasants in Boerninghausen in the middle ages belonged to a lord of the manor. These pieces of land could be lived on and farmed by the peasants.

 

English Translation

Nr. 2716. Jorgen Vieselmeiger is a peasant, with woman and children my benevolent gentleman (the Duke of Jülich and Berg, Count Von Ravensberg). The benevolent prince is landlord to all the plots. The plot is made up of the house, yard and garden of 1 "Scheffelsaat" (0.1182 Hectare) of rye (the ownership rights therefore belong to the Duke of Jülich and Berg, Count von Ravensberg. If Jorgen Vieselmeiger dies without a (principal) heir, he can occupy the place with another serf).

Seeded land: There are 3 plots of 3 "Scheffelsaats" of rye in the Mede field. A razed piece of land from Mark county (1 "Scheffelsaat" of rye) was given to the serf with the permission of the "Droste" (the Dorste (Count) of the castle Limberg) one year ago.

Debts: He gives my benevolent Sir. (Duke of Jülich and Berg, Count von Ravensberg). annually 5 "Kortlinge" (a sum of money) and 2 chickens.

Services: He personally serves (the lord of the manor) one day each week.

Tenth: He does not give a tenth of his 3 pieces of land (from the Mede field).





 

Boerninghausen during the blossom of fruit trees arround 1970

Boerninghausen during the blossom of fruit trees arround 1970
German MapBoerninghausen was first mentioned in a certificate on August 15,  993, by the King Otto III as »Brunnenhuson«. The name of the village has changed many times since then, from Burninghusen, to Borneckhusen, to Borninghusen to Boeninghausen today. In 1220 a chapel was built in the village which then developed into a parish church between 1279 and 1334 with its own independent parish. Historically Boerninghausen is comprised of several parts, namely the church town of Boerninghausen, the village Eininghausen, the Boerninghauser Marsh and the hamlet Balkenkamp on the Limberg. Eininghausen is mentioned in an un-dated paper from the Bishop Eilbert (1055 - 1080) as »Enighusen« and then later »Enichausen«. The Boerninghauser Marsh is first mentioned in 1256 as »Osterborninghusen«. The bordering, Saxonian farming communiteis of Buescherheide (from the Bad Essen authority) and Markendorf (from Melle) also belong to the parish.

Boerninghausen and Eininghausen lies in Eggetal, a small side dale of the Wiehen hills. The dale is surrounded on all sides by wooded hills. On the north side of the dale can be found the main stretch of the preliminary Wiehen hills fortress called Ritterburg, which remains today only as ruins. To the south is the main ridge of the Wiehen hills with the towns Oberberg, Nonnenstein and Maschberg.

The land and the cigar industry were the main sources of income for the populatin of Eggetal. Up until a few years ago there were several fruit farmers and fruit pantations with apple and cherry trees. The dale was particularly beautiful in the spring with the fruit trees in blossom. Today is tourism an important source of income for the village. Because of the particularly high quality air, the town received the state recognition in 1992 as a climatic spa.

As part of a regional rearrangment on January 1, 1973, the former authority of Boerninghausen was combined with the several surrounding villages and hamlets to become the town Preussisch Oldendorf. The town has a population of around 13,500 and is siuated in the north-east of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia (see the map of Germany on the right), around 62 miles west of Hanover.

« BACK to the Vieselmeyer/meier history

 

Impressum / Disclaimer