|In Germany the reformation took
place which divided the country religiously. The further
propogation of the reformation in Europe, towards the end of the
16th Century and from the simultaneous retaliation of
Catholocism saw the decrease in each case of the acknowledgment
of each confession. Those who ruled over an area determined the
faith of their subjects. Peasants had to therefore accept the
religion of their masters or else secretly flee the settlement.
Both Evangelical Catholic leaders tried to forcibly win back
lost territory, from the other side. This only served to
strengthen the religious contrast in Europe. The revolt by the
larger Protestant Bohemians and the so-called Defenestration of
Prague (May, 1618) led to a thirty-year relgious war.
The following groups fought on the catholic side: The troops
from Emperor Ferdinand II of Habsburg, from Albrecht Eusebius of
Wallenstein, Cardinal-Infante Fernando (aka: Ferdinand of
Austria) and Count Tilly, Fieldmarshall elect Duke Maximilian of
Bavaria. For the oppositions fought the soldiers of Friedrich V.
of Palatine, Christian IV of Denmark, King Gustaf II Adolf of
Sweden, Christian of Brunswick and Louis II de Bourbon, Prince
de Condé. The war depopulated whole regions and left many traces
in everyday life life. A great number of citizens of the
population died as a result of the plundering and devastation,
the resulting hunger and the epidemics. The Thirty Years' War
also brought numerous plunderings and fires to the region.
Castle Limberg in the farm community of Boerninghausen was
occupied by 30 soldiers in 1623, in order maintain the security
of the house of Limberg. When the small battalion was reordered
to Lippstadt, it was easy for "Drosten" (Count) Luebbert de
Wendt - on behalf of Count Pfalz Neuburg - to conquer the castle.
In September of the same year they tried again to take over the
castle with a force of about 100 soldiers. A company of Tyllisch
foot troops were quartered in Limberg in 1625 . In the following
years many more soldiers were ordered there. The soldiers were
responsible for numerous plunderings in Boerninghausen and the
It took scarcely 30 years, until all involved could see that "with
war no souls are to be won" and no party could achieve a lasting
victory. With the troops bled and exhausted and with the whole
purpose of the war no longer obvious, the decision was finally
taken to end the war in the favour of peace in 1648. The peace
treaty was signed in Münster – traditionally a catholic
stronghold – and Osnabrück, which belonged to the Protestant
camp at that time. With the Peace of Westphalia the Reformation
was now officially recognised alongside the catholic and the
By the end of the war in the year 1648 the married couple
VIESELMEYER nee STROWOLT, Christina
lived at Boerninghausen No.12. The surname was also written Fiselmeyer
or Fieselmeyer. Hieronymus Vieselmeyer was a Swedish second
lieutenant during the Thirty Years' War. Thus it is meant that he fought as
a soldier in Swedish services (under Sweden king Gustav Adolf) on the
side of the Lutherins. He was not of Swedish descent, but German.
In the year 1650, two years after end of war, Hieronymus Vieselmeyer
(also Fiselmeyer or Fieselmeyer) gave to the church municipality
of Boerninghausen 50 Taler for the poor in the village. In addition he gave
the church a valuable golden tray along with a very valuable golden goblet for
holy communion. The donations were a sign of gratitude for surviving the war intact.
The communion cup has the following latin inscription:
English Translation: »Lieutenant Colonel Hieronymus Fiselmeyer has donated, in the honour of God. in
rememberance, to the homeland church in the year 1650.«
During the Thirty Years' War troops of both sides plundered,
robbed and burned. In many cities and villages houses and
farmsteads were razed to debris and ash. The inhabitants were
driven out or killed. Soldiers did not even respect churches and
monasteries. It is well-known that monasteries and churches were
also robbed and set on fire by Swedish troops. Possibly
Hieronymus Vieselmeyer had taken part in plundering these catholic places of worship and so
came into the possession of the tray and goblet.
It is known that the brother Johann Vieselmeyer of the chapel on the
adjacent farm donated a wood altar. The chapel is listed in the
Ravensberg reclamation in 1556 as "churches of Einichhusen" and
stood on the Eininghaus village square. This chapel no longer
stands. It is further understood that Johann Vieselmeyer lived
as a clerk in Halberstadt. Unfortunately, so far, no further
information has been found.
The old goblet is still used today for communion in
the Lutherin St. Ulricus-Church in Boerninghausen. Goblet and tray were elaborately
restored in the year 1997.